Latest committee meeting minutes (not yet signed off)

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee of Kibworth & District U3A on 9th April 2019

Present: John Freeland, Michael Rodber, Cliff Hollingsworth, David Porter, Steve Bowyer, Cathy Bowyer, Ann Robinson, David Holtum, Stephen Poyzer, Hazel Taylor, Chris Spinks, Linda Chambers

Apologies: none

Welcome to Steve and Cathy Bowyer who join committee, Steve as Speaker Seeker with support from Cathy.

David H referred to our Constitution re number of committee members – we are now 11 (Chris Spinks retired in January). 

Minutes of last meeting / Matters arising: 

Minutes signed; no matters arising; all Actions completed – excellent Age Well flyer.

Review of March Meeting:

Very interesting, good speaker, local links appreciated.

Arrangements for April Meeting:

Andy Smith with musical instruments; needs table along long wall; £90 + £10 expenses.

May - Dr John Sutton – Story of Titanic - £50 no expenses; needs table; unsure if using PowerPoint – Action – Steve to contact.

November – Chris has confirmed Eddie Smallwood ‘Every Picture tells a Story’.

June Meeting Arrangements:

Michael emailed group leaders to ascertain:

  • which groups full or seeking new members
  • if leader/group interested in showcasing group at meeting
  • ideas for attracting new members.

25 active groups, 20 replied. Full groups not interested. Flower Arranging can take 4, Photography 6, Walking 30, Painting maybe. Interested groups may give talk or table display. 

Format to include introductory overview of groups, talks by some groups, table displays including wine tasting; break for free tea/biscuits, quiz, brainstorming session to encourage new groups. Hall to be set with tables and chairs. Wave £1 admission for visitors.

Michael to contact some of charities which attended Age Well event to see if interested in promoting U3A, invite to June meeting.

Action – Michael to draft programme and email to committee for comments.

Grammar School Hall maximum capacity – cabaret style = 140, theatre style = 170.

HSBC Mandate: 

2 of current signatories for bank account are no longer committee members. Our Constitution says signatories must be committee members. Cliff, John and David H to be signatories.

Group Leaders’ Handbook Status:

Ready for final tidying up. Will be ready for June meeting. Discussion re: printed copies for each group leader or email to leaders – decision to email.

Committee Members Reports:

Cliff: £14,398.58 assets. Asked for email to be sent to all group leaders to notify that contact for all membership enquiries is now David H – Action – Stephen to send.

Online column format of newsletter is hard to read – format has changed this month.

Cheque for £150 from Outings group paid in to bank, £94 to come.

Michael: not many visitors to stand at Age Well event. 1 query about membership.

David H: Beacon Management System was created for the Third Age Trust that can be used by individual U3As (at a small fee) in order to keep track of its membership. Three parts or portals: public – to access information about a U3A, membership –each member’s details, associate/full members, identify group membership, send newsletters, renewal reminders, group leaders – access their members. A U3A can use as much of the system as it wants to. Online payments via PayPal account. Evolving system. 

Allocated a Beacon supporter, access to demo system now available – Michael and John interested in participating with David.

Consideration is data protection of sensitive information but this system is GDPR compliant.

Hazel: Film Appreciation group on 17th April (Wild Rose) to avoid Easter holidays.

Ann: Kibworth U3A now listed on Arriva Connecting Communities thanks to Stephen.

News from U3A Trust:

Increasing threat of fraudulent incidents affecting U3As including: cheques allegedly issued by a U3A, emails to U3A committee members asking them to approve payments, invoices being submitted, phone calls. Trust asks if U3As have encountered any of these issues to contact U3A Finance Manager, Kevin Traynor. Cliff has had several emails.

New Documents available on the Advice section of national website including Group Leaders Handbook, after we have updated ours.

Free online Life-Saving Course developed by Rotary is available to everyone, possible inclusion in newsletter – Action – Ann to send to Stephen.

National Summer Schools are now open for booking: Aston University, Birmingham in August, Royal Agricultural University, Cirencester in September. Booking on Trust website.

Stephen: Sent email to group leaders re: expensively printed newsletter when some have nothing new to say; suggested only including group news items; also asked for comments/ suggestions. Response was 2 complaints – 2 column newsletter and glossy paper.

Stephen has produced film looking at our U3A over the years to show at June meeting.

Chris was thanked for her wonderful work as Speaker Seeker for so many years.

Linda: offered to host June committee meeting.

John: in Leics & Rutland U3A regional quiz our team came 4th, 2 marks behind the winners. Congratulations. Photo for newsletter.

AOB: Michael asked for the removal of inactive groups from our website and addition of new groups Beginners Bridge and Spanish – Action – Stephen to complete


Comments